10 Tips For A More Sustainable Business
Do you want to become a more sustainable tourism business? Would you like to become more environmentally friendly, save money and do good? Here are some of our top tips to help you transform your business into a sustainable business.
1. Before using air con and heating, consider if there are other ways to warm up or cool down the office. Is there a draft that needs to be sorted? Can you open doors and windows to allow for natural ventilation?
2. Be sure to turn off appliances and computers at the end of the day. Energy-saving mode is not good enough! Attach signs to appliances to remind staff.
3. Install cistern hippos in your toilets to reduce the volume of water used per flush. This will not only save water but can also save you money on your bill.
4. Install aerators on taps and showers. Aerators are water-saving devices that control the amount of water that flows through a tap or shower without affecting the water pressure. They work by mixing water with air.
5. Implement a strong recycling policy with clearly labelled bins. To avoid confusion, train staff about what goes in each bin. If your recycling system is strong enough, you should be able to greatly reduce the number of general waste bins.
6. Throughout your business, use refillable and recyclable products. For example; ink cartridges, toner, liquid soap etc. This can avoid unnecessary packaging that adds to the volume of waste in your business.
7. When making purchases for the business, ensure products are sustainably certified. For example buy tea and coffee that are certified by the Rainforest Alliance and paper that is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). Other product certifications include ISO14001, EU Ecolabel and Cradle to Cradle.
8. Ensure your organisation offers employment opportunities without discrimination based on gender, race, religion, disability or other forms.
9. Ensure your organisation supports initiatives for local infrastructure and social community development. Example initiatives might include education, training, health and sanitation projects which address the impacts of climate change.
10. Calculate your organisation’s carbon footprint and offset your emissions through a reputable carbon-offsetting scheme.
There are many more ways your business can become a sustainable business. Sign up to our membership today and join a community of like-minded business, attend webinars and workshops and gain access to more than 20 free online training courses, including Energy Management, Water Management, Waste Management and lots more! Now is the perfect time to transform your business into a sustainable business.